How do you make homemade moon sand?
• 2½ cups fine sand
• 1½ cups cornstarch
• ½ cup coconut oil
• Natural food coloring (optional)
• 5–8 drops KidScents® SniffleEase™
YL tip: Use any fine sand you can find at a craft store. Customize plain sand with food coloring or try pre-dyed sand.
1. Add sand and cornstarch to a bowl and sift thoroughly until are combined.
2. Add food coloring drops and mix until color is incorporated.
3. Add in oil gradually, stirring until the mixture forms a dense sand. No coconut oil lying around? Sub in baby oil or vegetable oil instead.
4. Get your hands in the mixture and start to knead and mold.
5. Add drops of essential oil and mix until combined.
6. Play away!
How do you store moon sand?
To keep your DIY sand fresh, store it in an airtight container or reusable storage bag. Keep it in a cool, dry place for up to a month. Is your scent fading? Add 5–10 drops of any family-friendly essential oil to bring your moon sand back to life.
To get started on this fun project, purchase KidScents SniffleEase essential oil blend: https://www.youngliving.com/en_US/products/kidscents-sniffleease
Keep the essential oil videos coming by subscribing to the Young Living YouTube channel!
Love this DIY idea? We have tons more! Follow us on social media for equally exciting projects to try at home.